AboutOur History

  1. Top Page>
  2. About > Our History
1876 Dr. William S. Clark, then president of the Massachusetts Agricultural College in the Unites States is invited to be Vice Principal of Sapporo Agricultural College.
1907 Sapporo Agricultural College becomes Agricultural College of Tohoku Imperial University.
1918 The University becomes the 5th prestigious university in mainland Japan to join a league of seven Imperial Universities formed by the Imperial Japanese government- this distinction continues to hold prominence in Japan today.
1947 The School of Law and Letters is established. There are 6 departments, Philosophy, History, Literature, Law, Politics, and Economy.
1947 Hokkaido Imperial University is renamed Hokkaido University.
1950 The School of Law and Letters divided into the School of Letters and the School of Law and Economics.
1953 New Graduate Schools of Letters is established.
1977 4 departments, Philosophy, History, Literature, and Behavioral Science are established in Faculty of Letters.
1995 Faculty of Letters has experienced organizational restructuring. 4 departments are united into a Department of Humanities.
2000 4 Divisions, Philosophy and Cultural Sciences, History and Area Studies, Linguistics and Literature, and Human Sciences are established in The Graduate School of Letters. Slavic Research Center is joined as a cooperative department.
2007 Center for Applied Ethics and Philosophy and Center for Northern Humanities are established.

Page top